Similar to the way we maintain a vehicle or a home, it is
important to take care of yourself – body, mind and spirit.
As you reach a new decade, it is an opportunity to assess
your overall wellness and take steps to stay healthy.
FOR YOUR BEST HEALTH IN YOUR 60’S:
Every day, be:
- • Physically active
- • Nutritionally smart
- • Avoid tobacco
- • Be in-the-know about preventative screenings
• Annual mole and overall skin exam
• Practice monthly self-exam of all moles
• Cholesterol panel – total, LDL, HDL
and triglycerides (baseline if not done yet)
• Blood pressure – at least annually
• Fasting cholesterol test every five years
• Annual fecal occult blood test
• Rectal exam – every five to ten years
• Sigmoidoscopy – every five years
(if not having colonoscopy)
• Colonoscopy – every ten years
• Digital prostate screening with your physician.
• Osteoporosis screening for men with risk factors.
Eyes, Ears and Teeth
• Vision exam – every one to two years
• Hearing exam – every three years
• Semiannual dental visits for exam and cleaning
• Tetanus once every ten years
• Influenza – yearly
• Pneumococcal – one time only
• Diabetes check – fasting blood glucose – every three years